If you're a teacher in the USA, you won't believe this! In Vietnam, November 20 is designated as Vietnam Teachers' Day. It's an annual tradition, a day for students to show gratitude and respect to all teachers. Students not only bring tokens of appreciation to the classroom, many actually visit their teachers' homes and bring flowers or fruit. Even people who have finished their schooling will visit their older, retired teachers to show them honor.
So it was this week, that I received 6 gorgeous bouquets of flowers from my students. Each of my classes meets just one day a week, so the entire week seemed like Teacher Day as students brought their gifts every day. Susan and I have joked that our apartment looks and smells like a flower shop.
It was so gratifying to see their smiles as I thanked them. To top it all off when I finished, they applauded!
On Friday, a special assembly was held at the DAV. Honored guests included current and retired teachers, school administrators, and visitors from the Office of Foreign Ministry. The Ministry oversees the operations of the DAV since many future diplomats are trained here.
When I watch these beautiful young people struggling to learn the English language, and I think of the hopes they have for their future, I'm simply humbled by their respect. What a blessing it is to be here for them! 

The English Department also held a farewell party for the only other foreign teacher besides our team mates. Elizabeth has been teaching here for 4 years, she hails from Canada. She also lives on the third floor of the guest house with us. We have enjoyed getting to know her and will miss her when she leaves right before Christmas!
Here is a link to check out some of the other pictures.
Congrats on the Teacher Day! Hope your Thanksgiving feast with the team was splendid. The pictures are wonderful. My Pr is with you and the students. Great is your Reward.
ReplyDeleteYeah! Congratulations on Teacher's Day. Sounds like something that needs to happen here in the States, that coming from a spouse who could use a little remembering from her students. Fun blog to read. Learning all kinds of things about Vietnamese culture. Keep up the good work. God's blessings. Pastor Paul E. Kuhlman
ReplyDelete