Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving in Hanoi

12,000 miles from home, we are like "pilgrims" in a new land. We have hopes to bring the same message here that was brought to North America by those hearty folks on the Mayflower. The culture of the native peoples seems so strange; the labor is tiring and our seeds must be planted before the winter, while the soil is soft. We anticipate a great harvest, and we give thanks to the One who owns the land.

Last year we gathered with a group of fellow teachers to enjoy a typical American Thanksgiving. I didn't get to watch my Detroit Lions play their traditional Thanksgiving day football game, but that hasn't been all that exciting of late anyway.

This year, we ate with some of the "natives". They are the reason we are thankful. They were full of anticipation to eat their very first turkey dinner with all the trimmings, including pumpkin pie with whipped cream! We all shared the things we are most thankful for and reveled in the wonderful meal.


It was truly an international Thanksgiving, as we gathered from Laos, Vietnam, and the USA. Susan and I were amazed to watch them eat. The smallest person at the table ate a full plate and then two extra helpings of mashed potatoes and gravy! The other two devoured more turkey and later learned about the effects of tryptophan, and why Americans take long naps on this special holiday! It was truly a blessing for which Susan and I will eternally give thanks.

Oh, while the Lions were serving up another Thanksgiving loss to Susan's New England Patriots, of all teams...I did manage to enjoy some football - so my Thanksgiving holiday was complete.



Ok, it wasn't what we call "football", but it was great fun watching my students play! Now, I think there's some leftover pie in the refrigerator...mmmmmm!

1 comment:

  1. I do believe I just got a small glimpse of what the Great Feast in the end will look like. And my friends, you two planters are reason that that party will be so grand. For all nations will be present and thank Him for doing that through you. Pryers are with from a place that just got snow and I guess I'll throw up another one for our Lions :) Blessings.

    ReplyDelete