Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Xin Chao Thay Giao!

Friday was a busy final day for this teacher (thay giao) at the Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam. My morning began at 8am with the last round of final speaking exams. I teamed up with a Vietnamese colleague to listen for correct grammatical structures and good pronunciation. Listening exams are the easiest - you grade them on the spot, no homework! But they are tough when you hear the same presentation topic 5 times in a row...(zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

By 10:30 we were done and off to a special English faculty meeting. The VP of the Academy was there, along with our retiring Dean of English. It was a time to say goodbye to the Country Director of my organization, who is leaving Vietnam after 14 years of teaching and administration with ELIC. There was also a special recognition of my dear friend and colleague, Mr. Doan, the retiring Dean.

And lastly, the English faculty bid a fond farewell (xin chao) to Susan and Doug. Mr. Doan was very gracious in describing me as a "father figure" to my students and the young Vietnamese teachers as well. A gift was presented and some of the teachers expressed their love and friendship. Then I delivered my first and only address in very limited Vietnamese...to the smiles of my amazed friends and co-teachers.
















Speaking Vietnamese can be difficult, but expressing my heart came easily. I truly love these good people. They have helped me so much, laughed with me, trusted me, and expressed their respect and thanks for the smallest help. What I have gained from my relationships with students and the Vietnamese teachers is priceless. Truly 2 years of moments to cherish!

After the meeting we went off campus for a Vietnamese meal at a local restaurant. There were toasts to friendship, promises to keep in touch (which will be kept), some quiet moments with teachers I have known best, and a warm conversation with the Dean. He and I went from colleagues to brothers in a short time. He's 60 and I'm 65. The 2 "Mr. D's" are retiring...but our relationship will remain active.










In the English translation of my farewell message: "We must now leave Vietnam, but our hearts will remain here, with the DAV and with our students. We will never forget our friends in Hanoi."

                                                       We're coming home.

1 comment:

  1. ...can't wait to see you my friends. Much love and pr_yers until then.

    ReplyDelete